The name of the School, "Ganneys Meadow", originates from the names of fields in this area.
In the 1920's it is recorded, in the Wirral Borough Council Archives, that the land was sold. In order to preserve the idea of meadows, flowers and green pastures each room in the building is called by the name of a flower or insect. You may spend time in Daisy, Lavender, Marigold, Iris, Cornflower or Lilac.
Since 1995 we have planted many of the flowers in the garden areas, with help from parents, staff, Groundwork Wirral and B&Q. The extensive area to the rear of school underwent a phase of tree planting including an orchard, landscaping, the creation of willow dens and paths that encourage the children to explore the natural environment. Alongside our Orchard, the children have a shady area with soft play and grass to enable them to experience the outdoors safely. Forest School sessions take place in the various garden areas.
Ganneys Meadow Nursery School and Family Centre has developed from an 80 (full time equivalent) place nursery school, which was established in the early 1970's to provide Nursery Education for the primary schools on the Woodchurch Estate.
In February 1995 the Nursery School was relocated to its present site, as part of the Wirral Borough Council's vision to develop integrated working.
It was designated an Early Excellence Centre, by DfES in May 1998 – one of the first 11 in the country. By the end of this programme there were well over 100 Early Excellence Centres nationally. It was re-designated as a Children's Centre in November 2004.
We are proud that our school has been judged Outstanding in the three previous School Inspections and in the last Early Years Inspection.
Ganneys Meadow is now designated as a maintained Nursery School with Extended Services, including:
- Early education integrated with care – parents can pay for additional hours around the 15 hours Government Funded Nursery Education between the hours of 8am and 4:30pm during term time
- Family Learning activities and events "Come and Join us" events
- Groups for 2 year old funded children outside of their sessions to attend with parents
- Range of agencies come into work on site including Speech and Language Therapist and Physiotherapist
- Family Support including parenting courses and home visits
- Weekly Child Health Clinic; Health Visitor assessments and advice.
- Placements for students from Edge Hill University; Birkenhead Sixth Form College; Wirral Metropolitan College and a range of local high schools.
- Venue for other professionals to meet and also work with specific children and families.
It is a pleasure to offer such an excellent start for our children’s education. We are always looking to develop our school and are very excited for the future.